Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The NZ Health Service

Today I needed to make my first trip to the doctors, and I will in fact tell you why. I have ran out of contraceptive pill that I brought from the UK and needed my next 'dose'.

The doctors surgery is lovely, clean, tidy and with friendly staff and best of all - no waiting times! Appointment was straight in and out within 5 minutes, Bethany was annoyed that she didn't get time to play with the toys however, and I also didn't get chance to read any trashy magazines!!

The health services are not free here, I knew I would need to pay for my appointment and the prescription...but I wasn't prepared when I found out how much!

My appointment was $52 and my prescription is $40. That wouldn't be so bad but because its a contraceptive pill I have to go back every 3 months for a check up and to have a repeat prescription. Its a bit of a shocker as all these services are free in the UK, it means we now need to look into getting some type of health insurance going.

I get asked all the time if we are thinking of having another baby, to be honest, noooooo - I think we would both agree this is money well spent!