Thursday, May 31, 2007

When is it OK to Speed??

New Zealand is renowned for its nightmare drivers, those who pull out, do u-turns anywhere and feel they only need to use indicators when pulling away from traffic lights at road works (whats that about?) or going round roads that are going that way anyway. But the absolute worst thing is the speeding, which is a huge problem. I don't think I have made one trip yet where I haven't had a car so very dangerously close.

I am one who believes that the speed limits are there for a reason and since having Bethany I believe in that more than ever, no parent can stop a child who runs onto the road for no reason.

Yet today I was faced with a huge dilemma. I saw this when I looked out of the window...

Once again Owhiro Bay was plagued with bush fires and the road that leads to Bethany's Kindergarten was closed.

The only journey I could take to get to the Kindi was the long way round which practically went into the city. I called the Kindi to let them know what had happened and that I was going to be late, but by the time I had finally got out of our road due to road blocks I was another 10 minutes late on top of the already being late.

There was one day a few weeks back when I was late picking Bethany up, she was so upset seeing the other mothers collecting their children. So I set off anxious at the thought of my poor girl sitting there all alone.

As I wizzed down the road, through the local suburb and towards the city the only thing I had on my mind was Bethany and the worry that she would be OK as the 'last child'. It was then that I realised I was speeding. I mean I wasn't breaking any sound barriers but it was enough to be a worry.

I learnt today that there is never a good enough reason, but as I say that I wonder how I will act next time I am faced with a dilemma.

I might however next time be a little less judgemental of that person behind me...