Monday, May 07, 2007

Kindergarten Development

Bethany is absolutely loving Kindi. She loves the freedom they offer and the way she is given the opportunity to express herself in so many wonderful ways. Bethany has only been attending for 2 weeks and already she has grown and developed amazingly.

Today I brought home a lovely little booklet which has been made especially by the Kindi about Bethany's development. It includes information on how they will teach, how they will work together with the children and what the overall outcome should be.


Today Jayne the head teacher, asked me to view Bethany's very first Kindergarten report - how very exciting!

Its written in a general manner, giving information on how Bethany is getting on, what she has been doing, interactions and even future things they would like to develop with her.

Its looks like a story book:


Here are little excerpts from the story:

(Jayne) I offer Bethany some of my paper and my pen and she proceeds to print the letter m.
Bethany: "See that is the one mummy has"

--------

Jayne: "Bethany what letter does your name start with?"
Bethany: "Its a hard one, I cant really do it"
(Jayne) I print the letter B on the paper.
Bethany: "That's my B!"

--------

"Can I use the pen?" asks Clarissa.
Bethany: "Yeah, just a minute please, I have to finish my picture"
Clarissa waits patiently.
Bethany: "Here you go! You can play now"

--------

Jayne's interpretation so far:
Bethany is beginning to feel more comfortable to share the knowledge and interests with both teachers and children in her learning environment.
Bethany has an amazing vocabulary and is able to articulate her thoughts with ease. I believe that this has supported her in forming friendships so easily in her new Kindergarten setting.

At the end of the report Michael and I are asked to give our views and thoughts, and to make comments on anything that may help towards Bethany's learning experience.

I am already so impressed with the way New Zealand raise their children. I was at first very sceptical in that I didn't think Bethany would learn much on a 'go learn' basis, and I was also very nervous of the fact the children here develop so quickly. Some of the tools they learn with are quite scary!

Bethany's little character has grown immensely and all because Kindergarten offers her the chance to learn what she wants to, play where she wants to and create how she wants whilst taking the life changing journey to becoming a big girl...