Saturday, May 26, 2007

A Degree in Coffee?

When we first arrived in Wellington, I had to hit the ground running as far as job hunting goes. After spending the weekend we arrived unpacking suffering from jet lag, Monday morning and the time to get professional arrived. To help me concentrate during those busy days, I had a high intake of caffeine (probably more so than alcohol if you can believe that!!).

Now coffee back in the UK was simple for me, it was generally instant, black, splash of milk or in some cases, fresh ground beans from New York (thanks Helen!). Over here however, it's a whole new ball game!

I went to Starbucks on my 1st day (a sin in itself now I realise) and stood there in the queue. My turn came and I said what I'd always said which was "black coffee please". The response of "what type?" threw me. "Erm.... just a black coffee please?" was all I could come back with. "Long black? Americano?" were some types offered and I just went with the 1st option, a long black. Now thinking I was in for a large black coffee made me think I'd conquered NZ coffee shops, and my new drink was indeed going to be a long black coffee.

Imagine the disappointment of a typical un-coffee-educated person when the long black arrived. The description was almost correct, it was black, however if the name comes from it's height, I'd hate to order a short black and think I was getting value for money!

Anyway, after 9 months here I think I've still not qualified myself as coffee-educated.
At least I now visit more respectable coffee shops like Mojo or Cafe Kyriani.

I probably have a coffee shop coffee 3-4 times a week, and each time stand staring at the menu and just ask for Latte or Flat White! Not very adventurous I know, but it's a far cry from "Just a black coffee please".