Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

And I don't mean the movie starring Will Smith, because that was rubbish. I am of course referring to my search for a great pint of Guinness in Wellington! Last night myself and Mark (later accompanied by Dan & Ian) set out on a Guinness quest.

Now I don't profess to be the worlds greatest Guinness taster, but when you've sat at the top of the Guinness brewery in Dublin, in a bar with 360 degree views over the city, drinking a pint that was brewed about 200 metres away, I'd say I was a pretty good judge.


1st Stop, The Black Harp. I have to admit, rather a disappointing pint. The Guinness was watery and wasn't as enjoyable as previous pints, so 4/10 for that one.

2nd Stop, The Dock Side. This doesn't count in the Guinness trail as it's not an Irish Bar, and didn't sell anything remotely stout-ish!

3rd Stop, Molly Malones. A better result all round and the Guinness gets a 6/10, and I even heard Irish accents in the room!

4th Stop, The Malthouse. The pub has moved recently due to redevelopment of their existing CBD location into apartments and shops. It stocks pretty much every bottled and canned beer you'd ever want. Guinness on tap? No, only draught cans. Still, like the Dock Side it isn't aimed at Blarney folk, so what can you expect? It does make you wonder how a can of the stuff can taste better than the pint in the Black Harp......

5th Stop, Kitty O'Sheas. At last, quality Guinness! 8/10 although the band singing Red Hot Chili Peppers covers didn't set the scene!

Cheers!