Friday, June 08, 2007

My First Public Outburst

OK so it was only just yesterday when I was talking with Sarah and we were discussing how strangers treat children. We have noticed that people seem to think that children can't be spoken to, acknowledged or that manners are needed when they are around, yet they are able to man handle and discipline without a second thought.

I have been known to stand my ground on escalators or when walking if Bethany is 'in the way' as I am certainly not going to move her, when all it would take is a few words from these people, and she would gladly step aside. And how can we expect our children to learn manners when people cant even give a simple thank you when they do stand out of the way?

Today I was at my local Post Office sorting some parcels at the counter, Bethany was hanging from some railings that are just inside the doorway. I knew she was doing it, she wasn't causing any harm so didn't think it was a problem, when all of a sudden this booming voice shouted at her from across the shop telling her to get down. Bethany started to cry and I stormed out in disgust. I strapped her in the car but was so angry that I went back into the shop.

Her reasoning was that it could be broken (so how does it hold our adult weight?), and I followed up with asking her how she would feel if someone had shouted at her like that...and naturally of course after a long pause she answered with 'upset'. With a swift turn I stormed out again leaving her trail of voice behind me.

My first public outburst which wasn't pleasant but hopefully this person learned something from today, unfortunately for Bethany - she didn't.