Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Distance

We have been here for 9 months now, for us it feels like forever and our life in England is already a distant memory, we are certain that this is now our life, we have no regrets and we are so happy with our amazing new future.

However we always knew that the hardest part of leaving would be saying goodbye to family and friends. For me my choice to come here nearly never happened as I knew I would miss my wonderful Mam and Dad (its always just been 'us 3') and my best friend Helen an unbelievable amount, probably too much to cope with. Its been a long hard 9 months without them and sometimes I have wondered if the heart ache has been worth it. Its been hard losing touch with some of our closest friends and I have really struggled with the whys and hows of how it happened.

Hearing and reading stories from other expats has helped me understand my feelings and after much soul searching I now know in my heart that despite the distance I will always have my family and friends close to me.

To all our family and friends: Just remember that we are always thinking of you, we always wonder what you are doing and we always want to keep in touch, even if you think we wont want to. We enjoyed being part of your life when we were in the UK and we would have spent time together; lets not lose that time we would have had and lets use it to stay in touch, despite the distance.

“Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” Rainer Maria Rilke.