Monday, April 09, 2007

Danger Will Robinson!!

I didn't think about earthquakes before coming over, I knew they were a common occurrence but didn't realise how frequent they actually were. It's a daily occurrence here, but most are so small that aren't felt, or people just don't notice them anymore!

The website that contains all the quake info is: http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html
This has earthquake and volcano information for all of NZ with real time updates, seismic drums and maps.

The 1st quake I felt was back in November when I was sat at work, my drink started to wobble and the chair rocked backwards and forwards a few times - it was quite a strange sensation. The next one was in December which was just about the same, but these were only about 3.5 on the Richter scale. The most recent one I've felt was in February and was a bit bigger. (Click here for details.)

Michael