Wednesday, October 01, 2008

End Of An Era

Time passes by so quickly. When you are younger all you want to be is older, and when you are older all you want to be is younger.


As you get older though you start to reflect on what you have achieved, what you have done and where you have been. You value things more, you settle, you strive and you slow. You appreciate more of what life is and what it can offer you, you are thankful for what you have and who you are. Only life experience can make you who you are today. You listen more, you respect people and value all they have to give you.

My Grandparents passed away a long time ago now, each Grandparent had an amazingly fulfilled life, yet when I was a child I would roll my eyes and disconnect at having to listen to yet 'another story'. Now I only wish I could bring them back to ask them to tell it all again right down to the very last detail, tell me everything bit by bit, I want to know it all. I have so many questions, questions I will now never be able to find the answer to.

I remember meeting Harry and Audrey for the first time, I was 5 and was dancing up and down the aisle of a coach whilst on our holidays to Holland. It was then that I spent more time with them than I did my own parents, Harry had the most amazing tummy....pillow fantastic as I would call it!

They stayed in my heart all through the growing years, we would visit often and they soon became my adoptive Grandparents, we had our ups and downs too, often I would again don that look of irritation of 'another story' and again I wish I could now turn back the clock and actually listen. Not be too 'grown up' for a cuddle. Stop being in so much of a rush. To love them like they loved me.

Sadly Audrey passed away in June 2007 and now Harry has left us too. It broke my heart when we left for NZ in 2006 to know that in all reality I would never see them again, I had to say goodbye for the very last time. Regretting now that I will never know if they knew how much they meant to me.

They have always been in my thoughts, there are things they have said over the years that will always stay in my heart forever, and words that will always guide me. People ask the question: who would you most like to meet and why? I always answer: those I loved the most who are no longer with us.

I want to hear those stories, I want to know all about their life and I want more than anything to have one last moment in their arms, with them knowing how much I have loved them despite never actually showing it.

Rest in peace Harry and Audrey, thank you for every memory, I will never forget you.