Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The 500 Year Vision

Nestled within the heart of Wellington is the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. The Sanctuary has an extraordinary 500-year vision to restore a corner of mainland New Zealand as closely as possible to the way it was ‘the day before humans arrived’.

It is, and always has been one of my most favourite places in Wellington. The sheer beauty, the amazing landscape, the stunning creatures and the pure euphoric feeling you get from being inside this urban sanctuary makes it one of the most blissful of places.

Luckily and much deservedly for the Wildlife Sanctuary they were recently awarded a $6.5 million grant, meaning the already stunning sanctuary can now only get better. These people are doing such an amazing job that it was only right they were given a little boost.

So on Friday Bethany and I took Jo, Sammy and David for their first time! Jo remembers hanging out there as a child (as it was all bush land) but hasn't been since. I think she was suitably impressed! Yet I think we should have known by this photo we were in for a crazy day!

Currently there is a lot of work going on, there is going to be a new Visitor and Education Centre that looks like it's going to be brilliant. There are also many other areas where work is being done, upgrades, and a stunning new suspension bridge which should have awesome views of the valley.

We had a wonderful afternoon wandering around in the sunshine. The children played so happily together enthused with what was coming next. We literally covered every area making the journey from the old magnificent dam and the gold mining tunnel that was full of Cave Weta, to the new developed areas such as the lake boardwalk and the new lookout points.

Lately though I have found visiting all my favourite places hard, I love them so very much but the prominent memories of the time I was there last with my parents last breaks my heart. I so badly want to just be able to turn round and see them there, see them enjoying what we have and them being here to share our life.

Bethany often commenting on the way round: 'oh there is where we sat with Grandma and Grandad and had lunch, isn't it mammy?' 'oh and look this is the way we walked with Grandma and Grandad' 'do you remember when Grandad did that....'

I was really pleased by the fact I got to show a born and bred local kiwi what they have been missing. It's funny as I have been having a lot of comments lately saying thank you for what we write on here, most kiwis didn't even know certain places existed! It's so wonderful to know they are thankful for the fresh eyes, and grateful that we appreciate it so much.

Coming to NZ changed our life like we never thought possible, the everyday roller coaster of emotions never ends but it gets better. Over time I am hoping the memories shared with my parents will make me smile instead of shedding a tear, and then hopefully one day they will be with us, side by side.

Our day out was wonderful, I cherish every second I spend with the people who I hold dear to my heart, without them my own personal journey would not have been so easy. I feel free in a world of unknown and so powered by emotions, the road of an expat is a long one of much thinking.

As with the 500 year vision for the Wildlife Sanctuary things will change, but they will get better. The little lifeline we had that seemed to be heading in one direction has now jutted off in a different direction, it would be interesting to know how our decisions, our choices and our dreams turn out 500 years from now...