Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Abba!

Saturday night I went to see Abba!!!

Well OK, it was actually a tribute band, but it was kind of like Abba. Susan and Jo were also up for going, of course I had no doubts about Susan, being that she is a die hard Abba fan!

First off though let me say that I in no way actually like Abba! I know, it's crazy that I went, but it was more about being out and having a good night with my dear friends, always so very important. Oh and course the wine!

We started the night off at Arizona, I thought it best to book a table as I knew many people would just show up to eat before the Abba show and I was right, people were being turned away as we arrived. Sadly though this didn't set up the night well at all, service was painfully slow and the food wasn't at its best.

Due to the slow service we had to slurp our wine whilst we stood in the queue to pay (which was ridiculously long). At the same time other people were looking around impatiently at the tables waiting for service. With one mad dash across the street we arrived just in time for the show.

We were really chuffed to get front row seats, it all helps when we are all under 5'2"!

OK so the show was average, we had to go get wine a few times to help with the ease of dancing, but we did have a good old laugh and a decent boogie. It wasn't at all what I was expecting though, I expected more pizazz, more theatre, more something...I don't know, it was just, OK.

The singing was excellent but they could have played in a local pub and you wouldn't have known the difference. The sound wasn't great and people next to us complained they couldn't hear the words but that could have been more to do with being right at the front than anything else. I'm not convinced it was worth the $75 a ticket price tag.

We did have a hilarious time though, you know us, no matter the situation, if wine is involved its always going to be good!!

However...I must say of all the places I would never have thought an Abba concert would be where I would have my first fight!! Ha ha, either these women do not get out much or they really LOVED Abba.

People filled the isles dancing and every now and again people would push Susan to get closer to the front of the stage, final straw came when two girls not once, not twice but three times barged their way in front of us!! I mean RIGHT in front of us. Waving and flapping around and standing on our toes. I mean come on!

Bouncers moved them on but the last time was it, with some words from us and a bit of pushing, shouting and swearing from them they were for the last time removed. Jeezzz I have seen some things but never ever have I seen women like this, going so bloody crackers over an Abba tribute band!!!

With all the excitement over, we headed to Chicago Sports Cafe which is right next door to the arena and had some more drinks and danced again to some more Abba. Some of the cast came in for a dance and drinks too and Susan and I had our photos taken with the guy who played Benny!!

A strangely fantastically wonderful night, we had such a good time despite all the odd bits. Bit scared though to head to a concert here where there are actual celebrities, I bet that would be one wild night. Can't wait!!