Thursday, October 09, 2008

Beyond The Blog

What a treat Bethany, Denver and I had yesterday! We finally got to meet Julie, aka Domestic Executive (you can view her blog, and the post of our meet here!).

After many months of bumping into each other in the blogging world we felt it was time to actually physically get together. One thing I don't do is meet random Internet strangers, but I had been reading Julies blog long enough to know she was somewhere close to normal, and of course I was right!

Julie and her husband Martin are from the UK too. They moved to NZ in 2006 just like us, set up a new life and have never looked back. They then made the most amazingly scary move of building their own home in Kaitoke (which is about 15 minutes away from us). I can honestly say it certainly is jaw dropping stuff, their house is just magnificent! The views, the location, the privacy...oh it's pure heaven without a doubt.

With Julie and Martin are Fortnum and Mason, their little boy Bassets who have just turned 1 year old. Upon arrival at the stunning location (whilst trying to keep my mouth from hanging open in awe!) we were welcomed by two waddly cuddly wuddly gorgeous doggies!!

Bethany of course just could not wait, we had looked at photos on Julie's blog of the boys and she was asking from getting out of bed that morning when we were going to see the Baffets!! A shriek of joy as we headed down the driveway and she spotted one of them proved how excited she was!

After introductions Denver, the boy with no class, came bowling into the scene. He quickly made friends with Fortnum and Mason who were not at all pleased with his forward ways! But they did have one thing on their side, their weight! They weigh 40kg's each (Denver is a slight 23kg compared to them!)!!!

After a lovely cup of tea and some delicious muffins we decided to take the boys for a walk. Not short of places to walk in the beautiful Kaitoke we went on what was called the 'usual' of a beautiful forest track. It was such a lovely walk, we even had chance to let the boys off their leads for a run around which was magical, Denver absolutely loved it. Poor Bethany did get bowled over a few times, but with a few tears and one big girl sigh she was back to laughing and playing happily.

After our momentous walk we headed back. Bethany fed the chickens and was utterly amazed at being able to collect her 'own' eggs, she hasn't stopped talking about it since, making references to Grandma and Grandads chickens which they have in the UK.

It was truly brilliant to meet Julie. We talked about everything, I loved her openness, her fantastic advice and the fact we could 'share' a story. I felt from the second we met we had bonded already, it was like we had always known each other. To be so at peace with someone is just fantastic.

It never ceases to amaze me the wonderful people I meet online. I read numerous blogs and feel so connected to every one of them, I become drawn into their lives and feel part of it. I always said when we lived to NZ, the last thing I wanted to do was to be around English people. I more than anything wanted to experience different cultures, different ways and different lives. However my opinion has now changed, sometimes you just need that expat to talk to, they understand, they have done what you have done and they know exactly how you feel. To have met Julie, a truly inspirational lady who has not only set goals but accomplished them is very humbling.

I still have a lot to learn, everyday I am amazed, confused and stimulated by people in ways I never thought possible. Some may laugh when you mention the word 'blog' but I can never thank it enough, I have made some of the most beautiful friends who will stay with me forever.

Bethany has talked non stop about Julie today, telling her friends all about her. She asked when she can go back saying the chickens will be hungry if she doesn't! This morning we sat down to dippy eggs, courtesy of the Treanor chickens - thanks Julie - see you again very soon!