Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Whistful Wednesday

Every now and again I am hit with a few bad days, mentally.

The first 6 months of being in NZ were hell for me, I missed my family and friends so much that it would dominate my day. I don't miss them any less now but I have found with time it has been easier to cope with.

However some days I am still struck with that hurt and the yearning to give my parents a cuddle, or dance like a crazy thing with my best friend.

Wednesday was a sad day for me, not for any reason in particular, just because I had a yearning in my heart that I needed them, and my thoughts were filled with 'I wish they could share this...'.

The sun was blazing again on Wednesday and the sky once again a beautiful blue. It is the only day of the week when I don't have any structured plans, so I always try to make it mammy and Bethy day and plan something good for us to do. But with my mood low I really couldn't decide, and found it hard to make that move.

After feeling bad that I was neglecting the delightful day, I emailed Michael and we decided to meet for lunch, however I decided it would be nice to do it a bit differently. So I parked at the top of Wellington city by the Botanical Gardens and Bethany and I caught the fantastic cable car down to the city.

We met my gorgeous hubby and we had a lovely lunch in The Black Harp, however this was only so Mr D could divulge in a pint of Guinness of course!

We said our goodbyes to daddy after a lovely lunch and we took the cable car back up. We then spent some time in the cable car museum (mainly so Bethy could have a little adventure) and had a wander round the gardens.

As I stood at the lookout point which looks over Wellington, I could hear the laughter and voices from the time I stood there with my parents, I felt pensively sad and melancholy, just full of wishful yearning.

But as my thoughts were broken by my beautiful little girl who was quite annoyed by my paused state as she just wanted an ice cream, I smiled, knowing that I will get to share these moments again with them one day very soon.

Until then though I will make sure I visit these places more often and listen for that laughter in the air...