Wednesday, October 24, 2007

90 Minutes

Wellington has something no other city in NZ seems to have, and that is a professional football team. Wellington Phoenix are in the Hyundai A League and play against 7 other teams from Australia. I took my Dad along on Sunday to see them take on top of league Central Coast Mariners.

The game was very Sunday-league standard, and you can tell that it's not the national sport, but it was still a great day out. We had chips and beers, and spent the afternoon with 10,500 others in the hot sun.

For a new team, the supporters were pretty dedicated and sung throughout the entire game, even when they went down 2-1 in injury time to a sloppy mistake. I'm not sure if I'd be as excited at a Phoenix game in the same way I was when I was a regular at Hartlepool United, but it was definitely a good day out and I'd go again.