Friday, August 22, 2008

Loaded

Life as we all know is about challenges. It's about setting goals and exceeding your own expectations. Well, it is for me anyway. That's why I do stuff that I've never done before, or really thought about doing before. Sometimes I end up doing something simply because I can.

Life's too short to sit an wonder 'what if?' and if I was that sort of person, I'd never have ended up bringing my family to New Zealand! Once I decide I'm going to do something - it usually takes something like the end of the world to stop me.

Take learning to ride a motorbike for instance. I wanted to do this as a kid and due to my mam tempting me with free car useage instead, it never transpired. It was however at the back of my mind for a few years and eventually I just booked it in and went for it.

Take moving to the other side of the world as another example. I (well, we obviously) wanted to do it, so we did.

There's loads of things I've always wanted to do, wanted to have and wanted to experience, well now I am, and all without it being labelled as a mid-life crisis (if you can get them when you approach 32?)

One of those things I'd never really thought about doing, or had once but never really considered the options was owning a firearm. After spending last years bonfire night at a friends farm taking part in some shooting, I have been considering the options more closely. So recently I made out an application, sat the firearms test, provided a few character references and passed.

As of yesterday, I'm now the proud owner of a New Zealand firearms licence. And why? Well just because I can!