Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Boozy Birthday (But Not For Me!)

I can't believe that its been a year since it was Susan's birthday last that we celebrated in style. It really does seem like it was only yesterday we drunkly staggered around Boogie Wonderland for all to see!

But yes, it's actually been over a year and how time flies when you are having fun. With now living 25 minutes out of the city a night out can be more hassle than its worth, but you mention food, alcohol and the chance that Susan might do some pole dancing and I am there!

Sadly this time I had to drive. Taxi's are pricey at $130, trains are all well and good but I am not comfortable with walking anywhere alone - especially in my heels, so with all that in mind the car was the only way to go.

I picked up Susan, Jo and Joan and we headed into town, being sat in our first (empty!) pub dead on 5.30pm. After a wine of two later (for the girls and not me) it was time to stagger to our restaurant for the evening.

We went to Nicolini's which is an Italian. Upon arrival we were shocked to see a queue by the door which resulted in us shouting to the service staff we had a booking (in an attempt to jump the queue). After a wave we were lead past the kitchens, through a door and out into what seemed like a back alley...maybe we shouldn't have been so pushy!

At the end of the alley our worry subsided as we saw we were being led to another eating area and not to our deaths!

We all enjoyed a gorgeous meal, Jo swore a lot, Susan laughed and Joan told stories which can't be repeated on the blog, I of course made sure the wine flowed so the stories would not stop. After being so very English and having a cup of tea to finish my meal (I know, very sad) we all had one huge group hug and I wished them well for the night. I have since seen photo's that prove they had a good time!

It's a pain to have to drive, I must admit all of these things never factored into my new lifestyle up here in the Hutt, and I wish I had thought of it!

I can categorically say that wine is a very important part of my life, what would the world be without it?

“I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad.
Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone.
When I have company I consider it obligatory.
I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am.
Otherwise, I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.”

Oh well, it's my birthday in a few months time - no bloody driving that night that's for sure!!