Sunday, August 10, 2008

Going Coastal

"As I child we would often holiday by the ocean. Even as a child I would feel the pure rush of being submerged in a world of total intrigue." - Henry Wadsworth

As you know we moved house in January and we went from a home perched on the edge of a hill facing the most gorgeous ocean view. We spent every day and night looking out to the ocean, watching the change in the tide, watching sunsets, dolphins, whales and even being able to predict the change in the weather!

In the UK we had a house that was backed on to many other houses in a cul de sac. A wonderful home as it was our first together but you would look out the window at brick walls and cars parked in the street. For us though we knew no different, and although we loved every minute we had together there we always wondered if it was possible to have that something more.

The new house where we live now is amazing. Stunning gardens, huge decked areas and after some time our house has now become a home. We are now however in suburbia and although there is nothing wrong with that (we knowingly chose to live here!) we do miss the vast freedom that came from being by the ocean. It has been a complete lifestyle change!

A least once a week I drive by the ocean, just taking in those sights, smells and sounds. There really is nothing like it and those people who have the most amazing homes near the ocean are so very lucky.

Last week I took two trips to the ocean, I only need to be driving in that direction and make an excuse to head there. Bethany and I walked Denver in Houghton Bay a few times this week, this beach is known for its most spectacular waves so we were not disappointed.

Jo, Sammy and Davey joined us one day and we sat building sandcastles in the sunshine, chatting and looking over to the snow capped Kaikoura - oh now I miss that view!

I found those days truly amazing. I consider the ocean my thinking place and have managed to work through so much in my head by only those few visits. We were even treated to having lunch with my gorgeous husband at Cafe Polo in Miramar, which is a lovely little cafe, gorgeous food and on a sunny day like it was it couldn't have been more perfect.

Maybe one day we may live by the ocean again but with the way house prices are going then maybe not. But one thing is for certain is that I will always visit, I will always be mesmerised by the ocean, always in awe of all that is it.

I think that I will put in my requests now to be a Dolphin in my next life...