Thursday, December 06, 2007

Out & About

I've had a cracking few days. My outings to various attractions have slowed down over the last few weeks, mainly because of the huge amount of Christmas shopping and preparation, but also because we have spent a lot of time sorting everything out with our new house.

So the last few days have been a fantastic break from it all. As I have said before I have never had a lot of friends, but since coming here I have made some brilliant ones, I absolutely love these guys!

Monday morning we met the beautiful Sarah, Sophie and Charlotte at the Zoo. Michael took Bethany on Saturday to the opening of the new African Savannah and as all Bethany did was talk about how great it was I wanted to go see it too!

The morning was lovely, the weather perfect and we had a stroll round watching the girls enjoy the joy of what the zoo had to offer.

Sadly someone at the zoo didn't really do their research properly as the exhibit was literally a empty Savannah - all the animals had been separated! The poor giraffe were harassed and picked on by the zebra, the ostrich were lonely without the zebra and they hadn't even got round to introducing the antelopes!! Oh dear!!

Wednesday morning Susan let me look after her gorgeous little girl Sophie. She is simply gorgeous, a typical 'cruisy' kiwi! So as I had been talking with Sarah and we thought it would be fab to go see the new exhibition at Te Papa called Tohorā.

For centuries, whales have captured the imagination, people have marvelled at them, hunted them, and passionately protected them. This exhibition presents a rich assortment of objects from Te Papa’s whale collection – one of the largest in the world.

Skeletons up to 18 metres long are displayed, along with fossils, models and specimens from many whale species. Beautiful taonga (cultural treasures) made from highly-prized whale bone and whale teeth give evidence of the revered status of these animals. And amazing it was.

I was advised there was no photography on entering but I still took a sneaky few shots. No flash though so some didn't turn out too well, but you get the idea of what it was like.

It was a fantastic exhibition but I think aimed more towards adults than children. I didn't really feel like I got my moneys worth as there was a lot to read, watch and listen to, but as anyone will know with children - this is impossible! So we studied the fossils in awe, the best part for the kids getting to go inside a replica whale heart that had information screens inside!

Sarah left to collect Charlotte from Kindy and I met Susan for lunch in the restaurant. We had a lovely catch up, its always good to have a gossip!

On the afternoon I met up with Jo at her house. Bethany played with Davey till Sammy came home from school where they then set about dancing and singing to High School Musical on the PS2! Magical! I really like going to Jo's house, she is a fantastic person, like me and speaks her mind and from her heart. I especially like it when she gets the wine out at 4.30pm!!

So you are probably reading this waiting for the BIG story right? Well there isn't one. This post is about my happiness in our new life. The simple pleasures of being with my friends in the new land and how content I feel. Things have taken a long time to come together, for ages I haven't really felt 'at home', but now its all happening for me, and its all because of my wonderful friends.