Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Road Rash

"A lesson learned the hard way,
is a lesson you won't forget"
© Michael Dawes 2007.

Now if you're an avid reader of F3NZ, you'll have seen this on there already, but for those who aren't, here's the grizzly details:

It had to happen. After a few months of successful mountain biking, I had my 1st major off. I'm not the 1st in our group (4th actually) so I guess it was just a matter of time.


It was the usual "happened so quick I didn't have time to react" situation. I'd known I'd needed some new tyres on the bike for a while, because the front tyre wall is weak and it keeps slipping on the rim. Anyway, for one reason or another I never actually got round to getting any. After jumping off a kerb approaching Oriental Parade, the tyre wall gave way, the rubber jumped off the rim and I went over the bars, scraping along the tarmac.

My first reaction was to get off the road, and a kind lady stopped her car to see if I was ok. I think she actually stopped because I almost went into her on the next street! So the damage is:

Me:
  • Both hands scraped
  • Both elbows scraped
  • Both forearms scraped
  • Crank put large hole in the top of my left foot
  • Random shoulder and thigh bruising
  • Pride severely dented

Bike/Equipment:

  • Seat detached
  • Bar ends scuffed and bent forwards
  • Bike pump holder snapped
  • New gloves destroyed

And if you want pictures to prove it...

Needless to say, it may be a day or 2 before I'm back on a bike again! Well, at least until I've bought some new tyres!!