Friday, May 30, 2008

Becoming Accustomed

OK so after nearly being here two years you start to get used to the kiwi food.


Now I am not complaining. NZ has some of the most amazing cuisine, Maori being one of the most fascinating. With us just acquiring a fantastic recipe for some 'Maori Bread' from one of Michael's work mates, I am looking forward to giving it a go this weekend. Michael was kindly given some to bring home for his family (thanks Olive!) and it was just brilliant.

Yet sadly, I must say the quality of other Ethnic food here is appalling!

If you are thinking of moving here please do not think that you will be able to get the same Indian, Chinese or Turkish food that you are used to. I am confused a little where it all went wrong - or who is right. Which country has the right style of cooking?? Or are non of them right??

We have yet to find a decent Indian or Chinese place. The meals are so very different and that changes from place to place. Ingredients are different, names are different and taste is very VERY different. Kiwi's are known for liking things mild and will easily run a mile at the sight of a chili, and so maybe this is why it has ended up like it has.

Chinese food is all the same, bland and full of veggies like Broccoli and Cauliflower. If you go to an Indian here in Wellington its a joke amongst expats to make a point of asking for your food 'English Hot'...

So why am I talking about food?? Well of course first off it is my thing, I don't look like I do from living on lettuce you know! Mainly it's because for the first time ever I took a trip to the Cool Britannia shop the other day and decided I would chose one item that would remind me of my life in England.

There was heaps of rubbish in there, it puzzles me as to how they stay in business - do people purposely go in and spend $10 on a packet of crisps??

And so the challenge was on...what did I like to eat?? What was the snack that invaded my work desk? The snack I would sneak when I needed 'something'?


Is it possible to go from NZ cuisine to Pot Noodle in one post?

Maybe not. But I can honestly say it was one of the most horrible meals I have ever had!! So much for the memories!!

A simple thing like a Pot Noodle made me smile, it made me laugh, but most of all it made me appreciate that the Kiwi cuisine really isn't THAT bad after all.