Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Puppy School

Sheesh, I am shattered.

I have just returned from Denver's first night at Puppy Training School. Lets just say it was VERY interesting!!

Arrival was set up by Denver being sick in the car, then once inside the huge grass area where there must have been more than 100 dogs he just went wild. He wanted to be with every dog and nearly choked himself to death trying to achieve it.

Once our names were called we headed into a separate area where there were 7 other puppies, all ranging from 3 - 8 months and all different breeds from the tiny Shi Tzu (who by the way the lady proudly told others she paid $3500 for!) to the huge Alsatian. Denver was not at all fazed by any dogs regardless of it's size!

The lesson started and after 10 minutes I just sunk back and sat with Denver on the grass. Deflated really at the fact all the other dogs seemed to respond to what was going on, but all Denver could do was pull and pull and pull and choke and choke and choke. He is a big puppy and he is really strong too - exhausting work.

The trainer running the class came over to see what was going on, I asked if the other puppies had been coming a while as they were so good - I didn't want the answer that it was only their second week!

After some encouragement we joined in with some sitting, laying and walking exercises, still hard work as all Denver wanted to do was run and jump at everything. I was starting to feel a little fed up with the whole thing when the trainer came over and changed Denver's collar to a harness, from there things started to pick up. He sat much better on demand, seemed a lot easier to walk and despite being worked up horrendously he was much calmer.

Anyway despite a good old runny number 2 (sorry but I had to mention it!) right in the middle of the class so people had to step round me whilst I tried to clear it up - it all went rather well.

I hung around afterwards to talk to the trainers and ended up having a really good chat to all 3 in the office afterwards. I got some fantastic encouragement and some brilliant advice which I can now put into effect this week.

I do need extra help with him and I wasn't afraid to ask. We have only had him a week and there are some things I already don't know how to control and what the right way is to approach it. Denver has grown up in a pen with 10 other puppies and he has been allowed to play, fight and poo wherever he wanted to, so it's all going to take time.

I am sooo looking forward to the challenge, he is going to be a big dog and we want him to be the sweetest dog anyone can ever have, with the right direction I can see that's going to be easier than I thought.

Right now I'm enjoying a well deserved wine whilst Denver snores asleep on his bed. A good result and I am pleased, looking forward to next week now!