Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Gimme 5

"Awwww, not fair. I wanted to be 5 before anyone else".


Familiar words in our house at the moment, Bethany feeling the strain of being 'left behind' and watching everyone else having fun at their birthday parties, and right now there are many of them!

Sunday was a whirl of dashing from one party to another, life never being more serious than the need to get to a child's birthday party on time without hassle!

Bethany got to celebrate with her two original swimming buddies on Sunday. I made good friends with Annemieke and Louise whilst sitting watching our children learn to swim. After a few terms we were meeting once a week for lunch and so the friendship grew not only for us but our children.

Despite Louise living in Mt Cook (centre of Wellington), Annemieke in Johnsonville (about 10 minutes out of the City) and of course us up here in Silverstream (which is 25 minutes from the City) we have still kept in touch. Of course busy lives meant less time together (even more so when the swim school closed down) so it makes the special moments of celebration even more special. Sadly both Louise and Annemieke are away for Christmas and will miss Bethany's birthday party.

So first up was Lydia's 5th. Princess Caroline arrived and ushered the all girl group to dress up, dance, paint nails and hear stories. Good fun for little princesses.

Next up was Norbert's 5th. He had his birthday at Tawa Pool which of course Bethany loved. Apt considering the way in which these two little friends met.

I do mean to be less selfish and focus on my little darling having a good time, but really, what happened to the only worry of the day being that I might miss my favourite TV show as I had partied too hard the night before and needed to sleep?

What happened to worrying about a broken nail?
Stressing over the fact the lady at the coffee house had got my order wrong again?
Worried about being late for my holiday flight because I was too busy in Duty Free?
Mumbling under my breath at the parent who could not shut that kid up?
Saying 'yeah right' to my mothers words of wisdom?

Oh yeah, I became a parent!

You know what? I wouldn't change a single moment, nothing can ever satisfy you more than to see the joy in the eyes of your child. To watch them grow and become happy, confident, loving people. To hear the pure heartfelt laughter at a simple tickle. To be proud.

That's what it's all about, and although it's not perfect, it's damn close. Life will never be like it was before child - and to be honest I am glad. It makes you realise just how little things actually meant and how the little things now mean the world.

So for us it's parenting united, let's bring on those parties!