Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chooo Chooo

Since living and working in Wellington I've travelled by various methods of transport, some private and some public. Having spent the summer cutting in and out of traffic by motorbike, sometimes fast enough to get to work even before I've actually set off, I'm now taking the 1.5 degree C mornings by storm on the train. Armed with mp3 player, book and a red nose, the 6:48am train doesn't seem to bad!

I live far enough away that there is still usually plenty of seats on the way in, but coming home is indeed a different story. With the big hikes in fuel costs recently (70c per litre in 15 months), more and more people are taking the train.

The trains are pretty dated and basic, but serve their purpose well and the infrastructure is pretty good. The best part about it? I can have a few beers on a lunch time and not have to worry about a wobbly ride and being stopped by the cops!