Saturday, July 26, 2008

Something For Me

As any parent knows, finding that something for yourself, be it a hobby, exercise, or 5 minutes to read a magazine, these are the little things that make our every day world much easier.

So today I made the move and finally found that something for me: Horse Riding!

I rode as a child and into my teens, I was a really good rider and with being a confident jumper too my horse riding skills were excellent. However 15 years down the track it's amazing just how much you can forget!

The first lesson was at 11am today at a gorgeous place called Thompson's Horse Centre which is based in the stunning Mangaroa Valley (watch the brilliant video on this website for more information). When I arrived I was a little nervous but very excited. They then brought out one big horse called Rocky - and I was expected to get on it!!

I explained my fears and I was kindly treated to a slow half hour ride around the paddock, gaining confidence again and really just getting to know my new buddy. It's funny that I forgot the even the simplest things - I couldn't even remember how to hold the reins properly! And it's probably best not to mention the dismount ever again!!

It was brilliant though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, felt exhilarated, and gained confidence after only one lesson. I will be going back soon, it's already playing on my mind. I am itching to get there and bring some of those amazing childhood emotions and memories back.

Wish me well, and if you see me walking funny - you now know why!!