Thursday, July 24, 2008

Over Before It Started

I am always apprehensive come the Kindy holidays, not because I don't want to spend time with my little girl - it's just my little girl prefers Kindy to her mammy!! Bethany is so into Kindy, she really does love it.

Despite the first few days of torment (in the form of an 'I am bored' every three minutes) we ended up having some gorgeous times together. However the time went sooo quickly, it seemed to start and end within a blink of the eye.

Bethany is very high maintenance child, she always has been - from the newborn needy days right through to the clinging toddler, and now a compulsive needs entertainment type child. However despite that, the one on one time we had was really good. After only a week back at Kindy this week I have missed her terribly!!

So we had a good two weeks, did heaps as always. Bethany had like a million play dates, well it was probably more like 4 but it seemed like heaps!

We have been to see some amazing shows. First off was Dora The Explorer's Pirate Adventure. I have been to many of the children's stage shows but I must say this was definitely the best by far. Stunning set, amazing props, perfect costumes and the best acting. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with mammy being caught dancing in the isle! We took Sammy with us and the girls just had the most exciting time.

Second show was Cinderella On Ice which we saw today. Wow. What an amazing show. Again fully amazing set, costumes and with only the odd few problems it was just wonderful.

We did however have a huge wait to get in. Yesterday on the opening day the show was cancelled due to problems with the ice, there were further fears with the ice today and we were left standing the foyer for a painful 45 minutes waiting to go in, but the director of the show came out and personally apologised and explained the worries which was really nice. Of course despite those fears the show certainly made up it for it.

We have also had birthdays, my two gorgeous friends Susan and Stef celebrated in style. We had a little get together for Susan with the Tuesday Ladies and Jo once again wowed us all with her stunning cake making skills. Stef was treated to a birthday trip to a lovely place called Kaitoke Country Gardens where we drank bubbly and had a delicious lunch. Happy birthday ladies - I hope it was a good one!

Last Saturday we spent a night at Susan's house with all our friends for a Buzz night! We all took different dishes, drank heaps of wine and insulted each other whilst playing Buzz. It was a fantastic night! Typically though Michael won everything, there was once a time when we were going to get Buzz here at home but after Mr Big Head could hardly get himself home due to the size of his noggin I doubt it now!!

In between all that it's been home time of games, dress ups and baking. Bethany is a good girl, yet sometimes (and more so lately) she can be a right little madam. I try to weigh up if it's a reflection of how she spends her time but then I am reassured in the knowledge that it's more than likely another 'stage'.

We have had a lot of stages, as any parent probably has. I know this will go on for the rest of her life but I am of late clinging to her with worry. Time seems to go so fast, our days are always so busy and there are times I wish I had had longer with my girl. Standing over her whilst she sleeps and rubbing her head brings tears to my eyes. Crazy I know, but every night I do it, and every night I see her growing and changing. It delights me, it intrigues me and it bloody scares the hell out of me.

Life has never been better though. We will always miss the support of our family but in some ways it has brought us as a three even closer together. Bethany will always be my baby but I also hope she one day becomes my friend, the ways things are going now I have no doubts about that.

Roll on the next holidays!