Friday, July 18, 2008

Killer Creepies!

It was all going so well, people told me it wasn't possible but I was adamant it could be done and for a few months it was happening. What am I going on about? Growing tomato's of course!


I purchased a cute little greenhouse at the back end of summer, and after the little tomato plants grew so well in their little tubs they were transplanted into their new tubs inside the greenhouse, now riding on the edge of Autumn.

They actually thrived, with a little love and protection from Jack Frost they were flowering and looking good. Then it happened, they started to go brown, first one leaf at a time until it was too late. Soon it was all over and I had to say goodbye to my creations.

At the weekend I plucked up the courage to finally clear out the dead plants. Cursing those that would tell me 'I told you so' if I was to tell them. But do you know what actually killed them...?

At the roots there was this passageway that lead up through the middle and living inside were millions of caterpillars all different sizes - they had made a caterpillar hotel from my loved tomato plants!!

Out of all the 'pests' that could have killed my plants I never even once thought of the cute little harmless caterpillar. Of course I need to do more research and next time a caterpillar comes knocking on the Caterpillar Hotel - all rooms will be full!