Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Secret Garden

When we chose our home it was not only for it's perfectly private location and it's incredible charm, but it was for the fact the garden was simply stunning. Landscaped and kept impeccable there wasn't much for us to do - many of our friends have commented that it's like stepping into 'The Secret Garden'.

The only other thing I planned on doing was getting a veggie patch. That was near impossible at the old house due to the Cook Strait winds taking care of anything delicate. Here the climate is more settled and so I have started the 'patch'.

My Grandad was an amazing gardener. He had a wonderland of the most amazing flowers, voluptuous fruit and magnificent vegetables growing and often won awards for his efforts. I think get my green fingers from him. Here are some photos of my amazing late Grandad...

So here are my creations...so far I have spring onions, cos lettuce, chili and mixed lettuce all growing fantastically and I have just planted some red onions, chives and tomatoes. The plan would be to grow everything we would need and be self sufficient and as there is only 3 of us we wouldn't need much - I am looking forward to the challenge.

Bethany of course has been a fantastic help, it's been a magical way for her to learn where food actually comes from and being able to watch them grow has mesmerised her.

Just so she didn't feel left out she planted some creations of her own - some sunflowers, and after nearly 9 weeks they have finally flowered, much to her excitement.

So with all that in hand, all we need now is a bread, milk, pizza and beer tree - and we are sorted!