Monday, March 31, 2008

Living In A Caravan

It's whenever I brag about the weather that we end up with rain, you would think I would learn by now and stop doing it, but I just can't help it!


The NZ summer this year has been amazing, local news reporting on 'Endless Summer' makes it easy to be complacent. Now I am not saying we don't need the rain, recently Wellington were banned from using sprinklers and possible hosepipes due to the depleting water supplies.

So this weekend hit us with a huge downpour and vivid memories came flooding back for us both of our holidays in Scotland as children. Our new home is all on one level and has the typical kiwi tin roof, and as the rooms go to the rafters when it rains it sounds just like being in a caravan.

We both remember being 'trapped', staring through the condensation with that feeling of impending boredom, Mam fluttering around in the background and coming up with daft ideas like tramping through the forest. Board games, cards and domino's were always the favourites, normally with parents getting slightly giddy on too much wine (or too much cabin fever).

As I laid in bed this morning listening to the rain it took me back to the days of simple laughter, tender family moments and being able to enjoy life the natural way. A smile wider than ever on my face.

Bethany strolled in at her usual time to wake us up and she said looking up to the ceiling: 'Whats that noise' and all I could say was: 'Memories darling'...