Friday, February 08, 2008

Kindergarten Ease

It's been two weeks already that Bethany has been attending Kindy - and she loves it. As you know last Monday was her first day and that went well, I stayed and was included in her learning and exploring - it was brilliant to be part of it all.

Then Tuesday she was starting to ease away from me, heading off to play but always looking back to make sure I was still there. I left for an hour that morning and when I returned she was playing musical instruments and singing songs in a group with the teacher, I sat by myself for the rest of that session!

Wednesday - that was it. Hardly got through the gate when she said 'OK, you can go now'. And with a tug on my heart and tears in my eyes I left her there. My little girl, in big Kindy, alone. Of course I got home, sat on the sofa and didn't know what to do, I just sat looking at the house phone and my mobile waiting for them to ring...but they never did.

Here we are now, two weeks in and she is fine. She really absolutely loves it, talks about it all the time, is learning so much already and her confidence (not that she needs any more!) has rocketed.

I had a hard time the first week feeling like I was not needed anymore but I am so proud of her for being the brave, strong little character she is. The journey we have made coming to NZ has been a massive one, we all seem to have adapted so well and she has already grown towards becoming a proper Kiwi - it's just a fantastic thing to watch.


Right now everything is perfect, we are finally content in knowing we made the right move for us all...