Sunday, November 23, 2008

Road Trip

The daily commute to work is made better by the fact it's via motorbike. During the harsher winter months I take advantage of the train, using the 35 minutes each way to read books - something neither myself or Marrisa have had time to do in a few years.

My daily ride is about 28Km's each way and is unfortunately mostly a straight line, anything far from scenic or exciting. This weekend was a perfect opportunity to do anything other than straight lines.

A friend at work recently bought a new bike and suggested we go on a road trip one weekend. I don't generally take much persuasion to go on a bike ride so we made a plan.

The route we chose was Wellington to Napier, then on to Taupo for the night, staying at a cheap motel then coming back via Wanganui and the ParaPara's. Only due to a slight technical hitch did we deviate from the plan!

The following video speaks for itself and the ride was nothing short of awesome. All I'll say to back my comment is this: My battery died at Woodville. With help I managed to bump start the bike and ride towards Pahiatua where it failed completely about 10 metres short of the gates of the
Tui Bewery at Mangatainoka. If I'd planned to breakdown there, I wouldn't have been able to do it with as much accuracy as I did with the accidental stop!