Friday, March 27, 2009

Happy School Days

I am pleased to report that all is going well for Bethany at school, she is absolutely loving it!

I linger in the morning just watching what she is doing, if I head over for a goodbye kiss and cuddle I normally get a wriggle and an embarrassed voice that says "get off mam". 5 going on 15 I think.

Bethany can now read really well, we struggled at home to teach her, but within the first week she was off recognising words and sounding out the letters to make the word. Everyone said it would take off once she started school - how right they were!

This week has been EOTC week - which is Exercises Outside The Classroom week. It started on Monday with the children taking their bikes or scooters to school and having a talk from a Policeman about Road Safety. It sadly rained all day so the children never got to test their skills on the playground, so it was rescheduled for Tuesday. Thursday was a great day as the children got to explore tents that were put up at the school and have a Teddy Bear Picnic. Today we were greeted as we arrived at school by a huge climbing wall!

Wednesday was the best day however. I volunteered to go along as parent helper for the day as they were short on numbers. We walked roughly 20 minutes down to the little shopping centre. From here we walked to a Nursing Home where the children had prepared to sing some songs for the older community.

It was really lovely, I must admit I was a little worried - old people and children together - my worst nightmare!! But seriously it was great, the children sang fantastically, getting through the New Zealand National Anthem (first in Maori) and then in English, followed by a few other songs they had practised at school.

The Nursing Home were then presented with a huge flower which was made up of all the children's hand prints - with the words 'have a happy day'. We were also absolutely bowled over when one of the teachers announced that we should sing happy birthday to one of the ladies in the home - and sing we did when we found out she was turning 103!!

Afterwards the children were allowed to go introduce themselves to the people in the home, Bethany absolutely loved it - she really couldn't get enough of meeting them and talking with them. Most of the children shyed away, some scared at what they saw, but Bethany had to be dragged away which was really sweet.

Onwards we went back to the park where the children ate lunch and then blew off some steam playing in the play area and playing games with the teachers.

Our last hour was filled with a 'behind the scenes' tour of the Physiotherapist, the Travel Agents and New World the supermarket. All very interesting, especially seeing how a supermarket is away from the shoppers and the shop floor.

We had a great day, it was really nice to also have chance to talk with the children, despite my charade of not being keen on children I secretly enjoyed myself (but don't tell anyone!).

Bethany has really settled well and it has made things for me a million times easier too. I was having such a hard time with it all but as time has gone on its become easier, my days seem to fly by and despite the early days of not knowing what to do with myself, I now do not have enough hours in the day.

The Easter Holidays will be here soon and I am looking forward to being with my girl again, also looking forward to having time to do what we want and not feel pressured by a routine. It's good news all round and we are all enjoying the new changes immensely.