Sunday, February 01, 2009

Resistance Was Futile!

I knew I wouldn't be able to resist, popping to friends houses and seeing their monster creations and them passing them off as 'good' drove me insane! I needed a veggie patch and I needed it now!

You may remember I posted about getting a little planter pot and putting in some seeds, well...

Of course in the back of my mind I always knew that the little planter tub wouldn't be big enough. So out came an old scraggy looking tree that was taking up valuable veggie patch space and in went the veggie seeds. To start with I was looking at them and wondering on spacing (as in too much space) and now we have a crowding situation!

From this...


To this...


To now this...

It's been very interesting looking after them too. I was just clearing out some old leaves, I dragged them from the back forwards and scooped them up with one hand, I felt wiggling and upon unclenching my hand found this guy....yeah I now know how fast I can run!!

Anyway, despite the odd snail, white butterfly, weta and mozzy, my veggies are on their way to success. The first pepper (or capsicum if you prefer) is ready, we have had endless strawberries, the beans have flowered, the chili's are never ending, and I'm not even going to mention the giant sized broccoli and cauliflowers!

It's all going well despite my late start this year. The lettuce, sweetcorn and carrots that Grandma planted with Bethany when she was here have started too.

Once day I dream of a plot bigger than our house, filled with fruit and veggies, imagine living self sustained - now that would be awesome.

Until that day we will enjoy our small garden produce, if you ring me though and there is no answer - well that because I am out talking to my plants...yeah I do that!!