Monday, February 09, 2009

Just Us

It's been a miss mash of a few weeks here at Dawes HQ. Still trying to recover from Lynn leaving and wondering when we will see our parents again has been really hard, but it seems to have drawn us closer together as a 4. Family time has been well needed for us, and this weekend has been perfect.

The schools all went back last week meaning that everywhere has been really quiet. That's always good news for us and despite me worrying about what Bethany and I will do together the time has actually flown over. We have had a really nice time just playing games, baking, going out for walks and pottering round the garden.

One day we even went to the cinema and watched Bolt - which is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It made us both laugh and cry! It was awesome that we had the whole room to ourselves too!

It's been Waitangi weekend here meaning Friday was a public holiday. For the first time in ages Michael didn't have to work, and so we got to venture off as we always used to. We picked up the map and pointed to a spot, and off we went, and glad we were too!

We found the most gorgeous secluded beach. It was quiet, sandy and with the sun shining it was just idyllic.

It was so lovely that we went back again the next day. This time though swim suits (or Togs as they are called here) were to the ready. We set up Camp Dawes in typically English style with wind breakers, that staked our part of the beach (even though there was no-one around!).

Then for the first time in years we all went in the ocean together!!

I actually made it - I went in...and it was amazing. The water was warm and I just enjoyed the whole thing, the smell, the taste, the waves...oh it was wonderful!!! I haven't swam in the ocean for years due to the fact I am body concious (i.e. over weight) and so hate getting my body out in public. Finding this quiet beach where we were practically alone was just perfect. Yey for me!

As you know we also celebrated Denver's 1st birthday - crazy how time flies.

We have also had stick insect mania at our house this year. Everywhere you turn they are there! We have has three living together on the back deck for nearly 2 weeks. Every time you turn something over outside there is one, whenever you look out of a window they are dangling from trees, and then I found one inside today! Good job I find them fascinating.

Sunday we decided to head for a place called The Swish Dish which is in Petone. It's a little paint-your-own ceramics studio, you can chose from many already made pieces and then just paint as you wish. They will then glaze it for you and you can take home your personal made item. We should have ours back in a few days, it will be interesting to see what they look like!

So its been a lovey few days, we have really had some beautiful family time. Funny enough Summer is in full swing with temperature gauge (which is in the shade) reached 34 degrees the other day - it was hot!

With the beautiful days come the amazing sunsets and the stunning starry nights, I have never seen stars like what you see here, totally mind blowing.

Three more weeks till Bethany starts school officially. I don't know if I am pleased or not yet, but I am sure you will hear about it. Until then I will cherish my time with her and we will be spending as much time together as a family as possible. This is what it's all about after all.